ePrivacy and GPDR Cookie Consent by Cookie Consent

Graduating and working life


Applying for the degree certificate and graduation

The student can apply for the degree certificate when all the studies have been completed and assessments are found in his/her PSP.

  • The student must have all studies completed (also work placement, thesis, seminar work on the thesis, and the maturity exam, thesis report submitted in the Theseus). If the application is submitted before all the studies are registered, the application will be returned.
  • The student must have checked his/her PSP in the Peppi system (placement checked, extra courses removed, all credits and grading checked).
  • The student sends his/her PSP for approval in Peppi. The student informs by email his/her tutor teacher or study counsellor who will accept PSP (student’s tutor teacher or study councellor, who are specified in Peppi). Instructions for Peppi can be found in Optima -> Digistart -> Peppi.
  • The student completes and sends the application for the degree certificate in Peppi’s eApplications. This is a two-step process. First, the student must complete the Gradu and Feedback Questionnaire (the questionnaire is used to gather information on graduands’ employment and how the education has succeeded). After that, the student can continue the process and fill in the application for a degree certificate. Questionnaire and application for degree certificate must be filled at once. It is not possible to leave the application unfinished and continue to do updates later. The student must make sure that she/he will have enough time to fill in both the questionnaire and application at once. It is recommended to read the instructions. The instructions are found in Optima -> Digistart > Peppi > E-applications > Gradu and feedback questionnaire and Application for Degree.
  • The application for the degree certificate will be registered only when all studies are completed. The graduation date will be the next Friday following the student’s final evaluated credits (exceptions in holidays).
  • The degree certificate will be provided within one month of the graduation date. The student can pick up the degree certificate from the student office or it can be delivered by mail. If the student chooses the delivery by mail, the certificate will be sent a) In Finland as a Cash on Delivery Letter (price according to Posti’s current tariff) or b) Outside Finland Registered Letter or an Express Letter based on the student’s choice (price according to courier service’s current tariff).
  • In case you need a temporary certificate, you can ask for a certificate of study that shows your graduation. You can ask for this temporary certificate as a part of your application for a degree certificate. The need for this temporary certificate is asked on the application for a degree certificate.
  • Certificates are not written in July, which is also not included in the one month delivery period.
  • Additional information: studentoffice@centria.fi 


Remember also these things

  • Your Centria email account will close 14 days after your graduation, so make sure to save all needed emails and attachments. Also, save the files you want.

  • You can receive KELA’s student financial aid for the ending month of your studies if the month includes at least 18 days of active study.


Diploma Supplement

All graduated students receive a Diploma Supplement, which describes the completed degree and the Finnish education system. Diploma Supplement improves the international comparison of certificates. Diploma Supplement includes also an English language Transcript of Records, which shows the completed courses and grades.

Graduating nurses have to apply for license to practice a health care profession in Finland

Licensing is granted, upon application, by the National Supervisory Authority for Welfare and Health (Valvira).

More information about the application and fees can be found here:

Graduating students can apply for licensing after their official graduation day, since Valvira receives the information of the graduation electronically from VIRTA Publication Information Service. 


Trade unions

Trade unions are labour-movement organisations and they aim to improve the employment terms and conditions of employees. Trade unions do collective bargaining with the employers to reach collective labour agreements.

Students can join a trade union already during their studies. For more information, please contact the union in question.

Trade unions in Finland:

Union of Professional Engineers in Finland

The Federation of Public and Private Sector Employees Jyty

Professionals of Business and Technology

The Union of Health and Social Care Professionals in Finland

Suomen restonomit – Sure ry (Professionals of hospitality management)

Suomen musiikinopettajien liitto ry (Professional music teachers)

Art and Culture Professionals’ Trade Union TAKU

Trade Union for Theatre and Media Finland, Teme

Trade Union for Public and Welfare Sectors JHL

Seurakuntain Viran- ja Toimenhaltijain Liitto SVTL ry (Professionals of parish work)

Kasvatuksen ja nuorisotyön asiantuntijat KNT ry (Professionals of youth work and education)

Suomen Sairaanhoitajaliitto ry (Professional nurses)

The Finnish Association of Public Health Nurses

Talentia Union of Professional Social Workers

Trade unions in Finland operate mainly under the three central organisations that are:

Akava Special Branches, The Central Organisation of Finnish Trade Unions SAK and The Finnish Confederation of Professionals STT.


Further studies

Master’s studies in universities of applied sciences (UAS)

Through Master’s studies in a university of applied sciences, you can deepen your professional knowledge and skills after gaining experience in working life. You will learn to find and process research information on your field of study and apply it in practice at work. With a Master’s degree, you will be able to work, for example, in development and expert duties in working life.

A Master’s degree taken in a university of applied sciences gives you equal eligibility to public posts as a Master’s degree taken in a university.

To be eligible to apply for Master’s studies in UAS,

  • You must have a suitable Bachelor’s degree or other higher education degree.
  • In addition, you must have worked in the field in question for at least two years after completing your Bachelor’s degree. The field in question can refer to the field of study of your planned Master’s studies or the field of study of your previous Bachelor’s degree. It is up to the UAS to decide if they accept the work experience gained after lower-level studies (any field of studies) but before the higher education degree. However, also in this case you must have at least two year’s work experience in the field in question.

A Master’s degree in UAS includes:

  • field-specific advanced studies
  • elective studies
  • thesis

The scope of Master’s studies is 60 or 90 ECTS, and completing the studies takes 1,5-3 years alongside work. Studying takes place as blended learning which in practice means classroom meetings, online studies, and independent study.

An essential part of studying is the thesis that is a development task with working life connections. You can decide the topic to support the development needs of your work.

For more information, please see here.

Master’s degree in universities

After completing a Bachelor’s degree, you can continue your studies on a Master’s level. A university Master’s degree can be completed in about 2 years of full-time studies. Master’s studies are usually multidisciplinary i.e. based on cooperation between different fields of studies within the university but also with other universities. You can apply to Master’s studies either through a joint application or through a separate application.

You are eligible to apply for Master’s studies if you have:

  • a Bachelor’s degree, either in a university or in a university of applied sciences
  • a vocational college degree
  • other completed studies in a university

For more information, please see here.

Seuraa meitä somessa: